The Good Shepherd
John 10:1-21 “I tell you the truth”… if I knew the truth, would you want to know? I have come that they may have LIFE, and have it to the FULL. Jesus made many claims as ‘the Good Shepherd’, not only as a caretaker of the sheep but as the only gate available for them to find safe pasture. And he began to share deep insights behind the thief of our souls ~the anti-Shepherd antichrist ~ the thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy
(you have full permission to copy this video/notes and reuse it for a group of any size, if you have a vimeo account here’s the link for easy downloading: http://vimeo.com/39869560)
download the pdf: Who Is Jesus Sessions #5
JOHN 10:1-11 – Two Voices
- Sheep know his voice and He calls them by name… “Moses, Moses”
- The gate: I AM the gate for the sheep
- Sheep do not recognize his voice, RUN
- Jumps over the gate
“All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them.”
- THE WAY, through the gate leads to life and salvation
- All other ways lead to death and destruction
Nature of The Thief – 1Peter 5:8, “your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”
- nature of lions
- story from Africa
- context of shepherding in Israel: watchmen, one common gate, sheep knew each shepherd’s voice and followed him
1. vs.11, “I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays His life down..”
– how far will Jesus go? Luke 15:1-7
2. vs 14, “I am the Good Shepherd: I know my sheep and my sheep know me.”
– so do you know the Good Shepherd and does the Good Shepherd know you?
Remember two voices? sheep know His voice.
What about the voices in you life? Do you know the Good Shepherd?
One, do good for yourself, get yours
Offers the Kingdom and temporary riches of this world (Luke 4)
You are the way
You can do it
You deserve more
An eye for an eye, tooth for tooth, life for life
You can be like God… (Gen 3)
Which voice to you recognize?
But second question, does the Good Shepherd know you?
How do the sheep follow the Good Shepherd?
1. Love the Lord you God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.
– Give Him your life: follow the Good Shepherd Jesus
2. Love your neighbour as yourself
– give others everything else
– there should be nothing left for you, because you gave your portion
– Rich Young Ruler – everything
– but will He not take care of you (birds, flowers – Matthew 6:25-34)
– we are called to live by faith
The second command is like the first, “whatever you did for the least of these, you did for me.”
Jesus: the Way, the Truth, and the LIFE and ‘THE BIG 5’